Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Little one (part two)

I spend a lot of time waiting for my kids. The pickup loop at school, martial arts class, baseball, basketball, practice, games. Waiting for my kids seems to be where I get a LOT of my knitting time in. My son just completed his fall baseball season. I had been mostly knitting my Creature Comforts cardi, and the garter stitch kimono. A friend of mine has a 7 month old beautiful baby girl. Her husband is from Scotland, and about 8 years ago, on a trip there, she bought yarn and a pattern for a sweet little sweater for her babies (present and future). But then she never found the time to re-learn how to knit, and the yarn has just been waiting to become a sweater. She gave the pattern and yarn to me, and I am really enjoying knitting them up. 



Its a cute little "Irish" looking cabled sweater with a moss stitch motif on the body, arms and hood. I thought the moss stitch was going to be the end of me, but after a couple of tries I managed to establish it well enough to make it work. Its a quick little knit, I've  been at it about 8 days and hope to finish this week. I have made a few mistakes though! I was trying to modify it to knit in the round, thinking it would make my life easier, and mean fewer seams to bother the baby. I got to almost the 11 3/4 inch mark, where I was going to need to split the neck, and realized I'd forgotten something essential. Armholes!  Rather than rip it back, I'm just adding some length to the sweater, and I think its going to be fine.

The yarn is just a simple acrylic, but it should wear well for a baby, and its soft as can be. I am knitting it in a 1-2 year size in the hopes it will get her through winter, spring, and maybe next fall. I'm hoping to get a picture of the baby in it when its all finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment